All provisions within this catalog are subject to change without notice. If you have questions or comments, please contact email@example.com.
Medical Transcription - AAS
Associate of Applied Science Degree
NOTE: This program is in moratorium and will not be accepting new students.
Medical Transcriptionists are part of the healthcare team, working primarily with medical documents and reports. Upon completion of the program, students have the skills and knowledge necessary to perform as entry-level transcriptionists.
Graduates are prepared to:
- Use current word processing software efficiently and effectively, including developing and utilizing macros and shortcuts.
- Use medical language appropriately and understand anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, pathophysiology, laboratory tests, and diagnostic tests.
- Spell, proofread, and use correct grammar, punctuation, and syntax in medical reports.
- Understand HIPPA and follow guidelines to protect patient confidentiality and patient records.
- Transcribe reports for a variety of specialty areas, thereby increasing understanding of medical language and procedures for those specialty areas.
- Practice transcribing reports from doctors who are not native English speakers.
- Use medical references appropriately and efficiently, particularly the Book of Style.
Estimated Resident Program Cost*
|Tuition and Fees||$6,779|
Fall 2017 MUS Student Health Insurance Premiums will be changing. Please check the Health Insurance website and/or Student Central for confirmed premium rates. Students will be charged an additional fee of $21 per credit for online/hybrid courses.
Many students need preliminary math, science, and writing courses before enrolling in the program requirements. These courses may increase the total number of program credits. Students should review their math and writing placement before planning out their full program schedules.
TASK 090 Introductory Keyboarding is recommended for students with keyboarding skills less than 45 wpm.
GFC MSU Additional Graduation Requirement
|COLS 103||Becoming a Successful Student +||1|
|AHMS 105||Health Care Delivery +||2|
|AHMS 144||Medical Terminology +||3|
|AHMS 255||Medical Transcription I +||3|
|CAPP 131||Basic MS Office +||3|
|Select one of the following:|
|M 090||Introductory Algebra **,+||4|
|AHMS 256||Medical Transcription II *,+||3|
|BIOH 112||Human Form and Function I +||4|
|CAPP 154||MS Word *,+||3|
|HTH 180||Pharmaceuticals for HC Provdrs +||1|
|WRIT 122||Intro to Business Writing **,+||3|
|AHMS 108||Health Data Content & Struct *,+||3|
|AHMS 109||Disease Concepts *,+||2|
|AHMS 201||Medical Science *,+||3|
|AHMS 257||Medical Transcription III *,+||3|
|BIOH 113||Human Form and Function II *,+||3|
|AHMS 106||Healthcare Professional +||2|
|AHMS 118||Hlth Care Personnel & Supervsn +||2|
|AHMS 158||Legal & Rgltry Aspcts Hlthcare *,+||3|
|AHMS 258||Medical Transcription Practicu *,+||3|
|HIT 265||Electr Health Rec in Med Prac +||3|
|HTH 150||Personal Health and Fitness +||2|
|Select one of the following:|
|PSYX 100||Introduction to Psychology +||3|
|SOCI 101||Introduction to Sociology +||3|
Indicates prerequisites needed.
Placement in course(s) is determined by placement assessment.
A grade of C- or above is required for graduation.