Frequently Asked Questions:
- Graduates of the Welding CAS program are prepared to produce welds in all positions that meet industry standards using the following processes:
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)
- Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW)
- Flux Cored Arc Welding (FCAW)
- Graduates are also able to interpret welding blueprints and weld symbols, understand power sources and current types, and gain other skills necessary for entry-level welding jobs.
- For a complete list of courses, course descriptions, and program outcomes, you can view the GFC MSU Catalog.
- There is a new start every semester.
- The welding program is two semesters long, so a cohort will complete their program and earn their Certificate of Applied Science degree (CAS) at the end of the second semester after successful completion of all coursework.
- There are a limited number of spots in each cohort. Applications that are received after the cohorts are filled will be kept on file in case a student who was accepted is unable to attend.
- If a student is not admitted to the program for the semester desired, options include but are not limited to: Wait for the next semester welding intake and reapply. Choose another program offered by the College. If you need help contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 406-771-5132.
- Yes - Math, Writing, Communications and Becoming a Successful Student courses are also required.
- Yes, contact the GFC MSU Financial Aid Office at 406-771-4334 or email@example.com to determine your eligibility.
- The total estimated cost for resident tuition, fees, books, and supplies for the Welding Technology & Fabrication CAS program is $4,434 and is subject to change.
- No, but you will be prepared to take both AWS and CWB certification tests.
- Median Wage in Montana: $35,080* Median Wage in US: $33,560* Expected Growth in Montana: 14% (projected through 2016)* Expected Growth in US: 5% (projected through 2018)*
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, Office of Employment Projections; MT Dept of Labor and Industry, Research and Analysis Bureau.