Medical Emergency Procedures
Chemical Spills, Accidents, Contamination
- Report immediately to appropriate agency with information about affected area
- Biological substance: County Health Department 454‐6950
- Chemical substance: Fire Department 911
- ASSIST CONTAMINATED VICTIMS to a safety shower/eyewash.
- Use personal protective equipment to avoid contact.
- Vacate area immediately and seal it off to prevent further contamination
- Anyone who may be contaminated is to avoid contact with others
- Remain in immediate vicinity, collect names of all exposed
- As necessary, notify others in the vicinity to evacuate.
- Pull Fire Alarm to evacuate the building or if a fire occurs.
Immediate Emergency Actions
If you see a chemical spill, detect a strange odor or witness people showing signs of chemical exposure:
- Move away from the hazard to a safe location.
- Proceed to emergency exits; DO NOT use elevators.
- Help those needing assistance.
- Stay up-wind and uphill from any hazardous vapor, gas or liquid.
- Report by calling 911 or the Crisis Response Team by dialing 9999 on any campus phone.
- Follow instructions of emergency personnel and be prepared to evacuate or shelter in place.
- Alert others to stay clear of the area.
- Notify emergency personnel if you have been exposed to the hazard or have information about the release.
DO NOT go back into an area where a chemical spill has occurred.