All provisions within this catalog are subject to change without notice. If you have questions or comments, please contact

Admission Requirements

Please note that any documents submitted to the College during the admissions process become the property of GFC MSU, and will remain a part of the student’s admission and/or conduct file. All students must apply for admission, be accepted to the college, and have a completed admissions file prior to registration in courses.

  1. Complete and Submit an Application File: Applications for admission may be submitted by clicking on the application link above. Prospective students are encouraged to consult with an Admissions Representative if they have questions. Admissions Representatives can be reached at 406-268-3700 or you can schedule an appointment here.
    1. Per the Montana Board of Regents of Higher Education Policy 940.2, GFC MSU may charge a non-refundable application fee of $30.
    2. Provide your high school transcript, diploma, or equivalency.
      • Applicants to any program must submit copies of high school transcripts, high school diploma, HiSET, or GED scores to Admissions. These records must be final and include the completion/graduation date. High schools must be accredited by the appropriate state office of public instruction.
      • Home school students must furnish the same application materials as other applicants. If their diploma has not been issued by an accredited homeschool academy, then they must submit a diploma or final high school transcript that is signed by the primary (home) instructor and notarized.
      • If a high school transcript, diploma, or equivalency record cannot be produced, proof of high school equivalency may be met if a student has completed an associate’s, bachelor’s or master’s degree from a Regionally Accredited institution. Documentation of the previous degree is required AND must be on an official transcript on file with the GFC MSU Registrar’s Office. *please see section about official transcripts
  2. Complete Pre-Registration Tasks:
    1. Furnish Immunization Records: In order to be in compliance with Administrative Rules of Montana, updated June 2007, students born after January 1, 1957, taking seven (7) or more credits OR enrolled in a certificate/degree/transfer program must submit proof of TWO vaccinations against measles (rubeola) AND TWO against rubella (German measles) OR show proof of immunity through a Titer Test OR provide an immunization exemption.
      • Immunizations must have been after 12 months of age, the second no earlier than 28 days after administration of the first dose. No measles vaccination given before 1967 is valid and no rubella vaccination given before 1969 is valid. Immunizations must be documented by a physician, registered nurse, or school official; or submit blood draw (Titer test) results proving immunity for BOTH measles and rubella ; or submit documentation of having contracted measles and rubella. Documentation by a physician is required including dates of illness; or documentation of a file for a medical or religious exemption; or show proof of age, if born prior to January 1, 1957. Such evidence must be submitted before students will be permitted to register for courses. For more information about the Administrative Rules of Montana regarding immunizations, visit the link below:
    2. Demonstrate Readiness for College Writing & Math: Any degree-seeking student must submit copies of placement testing or submit college transfer work in math and writing prior to enrolling in their first semester of classes. Students may demonstrate readiness by any of the following:
      • Students may take a placement assessment (for a fee) offered by Great Falls College MSU; arrangements can be made through the GFC MSU Testing Center. If you live outside of Great Falls, remote testing is available – contact the Testing Center for more information at or 406.268.3711. Students are encouraged to prepare for the Accuplacer before scheduling their assessment. Information and preparation materials can be found at Special arrangements can be made for those applicants who take a placement test at Great Falls College MSU and who have a documented permanent or temporary disability. Assessment scores are only valid at Great Falls College MSU for three years.
      • Students may submit their ACT or SAT scores. Scores are only accepted three years from the date of the test. Students may choose to have their ACT or SAT scores sent to the College to determine placement. Please have scores sent to the Admissions Office directly from ACT or SAT. The College’s ACT code is 2432, and the SAT code is 4482. The addresses and telephone numbers for ACT and SAT are:

ACT Records SAT Program
P.O. Box 451 Princeton, NJ 08541
Iowa City, IA 52243-0451 866.756.7346

  • Successful completion of math and writing (within 15 years) at a previous institution may be used for placement. This can be provided via official or unofficial transcripts, as long as the student and institution names are on the document.
  • Complete Online Orientation All applicants must complete a brief online orientation prior to scheduling an advising appointment and registering for classes.
  • *Note about official transcripts:
    • Official college transcripts must be issued directly from the regionally accredited college or university and must be sent directly to Great Falls College MSU.
    • An OFFICIAL [paper] transcript is printed on special, watermarked paper. Official paper transcripts are sent in a sealed, signature-stamped envelope.
    • An electronic transcript is considered OFFICIAL if the intended party is the direct email recipient. If emailed to the requestor, then forwarded, it is then considered UNOFFICIAL.
    • An electronic transcript which is printed then re-scanned in an email is considered UNOFFICIAL.

Admission Types

First Time/Freshman Students

First Time/Freshman Students are degree seeking students, who have never attended college before or have less than 12 credits of transfer work. They are required to complete all admission requirements.

Transfer Students

Transfer students are required to complete all admission requirements listed above. In addition, credits from other regionally accredited post-secondary institutions may be accepted as they apply to the established course requirements of Great Falls College Montana State University under the following guidelines:

  • The transferring student must initiate the request for evaluation of credit during the admission procedure by furnishing an official transcript from the transferring institution(s) and the necessary materials, including copies of the appropriate catalog descriptions or course syllabi to the Registrar's Office. Official transcripts must be issued directly from the regionally-accredited college or university, must be official, sealed documents, and must be sent directly to the following address:
    Office of the Registrar
    Great Falls College Montana State University
    2100 16th Ave S
    Great Falls, MT 59405
  • Grades less than a “C-” for previous course work will not be considered for transfer credit. Course work taken more than 5 years prior to transfer request may not be accepted. If transfer credit cannot be granted, the student has the option of challenging a course or courses through the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) policy 306.1.
  • Transfer credit will be accepted only as it applies to the student’s declared program of study.
  • Students will be awarded a certificate/degree upon satisfactory completion of all program requirements, provided 25% of the credits required in the degree- related program have been completed at Great Falls College MSU.
  • Transfer credit will be posted on the transcript for accepted transferred course work.
  • Transfer grades are not figured in the grade point average (GPA).
  • Students who wish to appeal a decision regarding acceptance of transfer credit should contact the Registrar's Office to receive information on the appeal process. Students may be asked to provide course descriptions and/or syllabi for an appeal.
  • Those transfer students applying for admission after serving at least one term of academic suspension must complete an Admissions Academic Progress Appeal Form along with the Application for Admission. Such appeals will be reviewed by the Registrar’s Appeal Committee before the student is informed in writing of the re-admission decision.

Re-admission to the College

Students who have previously attended Great Falls College MSU must complete an Application for Re-Admission if they have been absent for one semester, excluding summer. Admissions documents are kept for only 5 years from the last year attended. Applying for re-admission 5 years or more from last date of attendance will need to provide the required admissions documents.

Re-admitted students must follow the graduation requirements for the catalog under which they are re-admitted. Previously earned credits will be evaluated on the basis of the current degree or certificate requirements. Credits earned 5 or more calendar years earlier will be reviewed by the appropriate Division Director, program director and/or Registrar, who may require repetition of any course in which the content has substantially changed. Re-admitted students will be required to go through the new student registration processes.

Those students applying for re-admission after serving at least one term of academic suspension must complete an Admissions Academic Progress Appeal Form along with the Application for Admission. Such appeals will be reviewed by the Registrar’s Appeal Committee before the student is informed in writing of the re-admission decision.

Admission Requirements for Non-Degree Seeking Students

Non-degree seeking students must complete and submit the Application for Admission. For students taking courses with prerequisite requirements, an appropriate placement exam score, a challenge exam, or transcripts demonstrating successful completion of prerequisite courses will be required. Non-degree students wishing to take more than 6 credits will be required to provide proof of immunization. Please note that non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid.

Early Admission

High school students may be admitted and allowed to register for college-level courses provided they are academically prepared. This process shall be confined to students who present evidence of the ability and maturity to do college work. This admission requires that the high school principal or counselor approve participation of a student in the college level courses. High school students may earn college-level credit to be applied to a degree at Great Falls College MSU or to transfer to another college or university once they graduate from high school. If the student is under 18, a parental approval form must also be submitted. Course records for students will be entered and maintained on a Great Falls College MSU transcript. Early admission students will also have to furnish all required application materials if they have not already done so.

Non-immigrant Foreign Students

Great Falls College MSU is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant foreign students. Each non-immigrant foreign student is required to furnish the following documents in order to be considered for admission:

  1. Completed Application for Admission accompanied by a $30 non-refundable application fee;
  2. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores from an accredited testing service. A minimum score of 500 is the acceptable standard on the paper-based test, 173 on the computer-based test and 61 on the internet-based test. More information about TOEFL may be obtained from the Education Testing Service, Princeton, NJ 08540 or on the following websites: and;
  3. Proof of completion of the equivalent of an American high school education with satisfactory grades. Transcripts must be evaluated by a credential evaluation service to make this determination. Please contact Admissions & Records for a list of credential evaluation services;
  4. A Declaration of Finances or other present evidence of funds necessary to pay all living expenses and travel to and from the college;
  5. All non-immigrant foreign students must show a physician-validated immunization record for measles, rubella, diphtheria, tetanus, and skin testing for tuberculosis. The evidence must be presented before a student will be permitted to register;
  6. Evidence of an accident and sickness insurance policy or one of equal coverage for each semester in attendance at the College.

After a non-immigrant foreign student has completed all of the above items and returned the required forms, his/her admission file will be reviewed and a letter will be sent indicating either acceptance or denial of admission. Upon acceptance, the College will issue an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for non-immigrant F-1 student status.